Saints vs. Texans: New Orleans aims for third road win in 2023 NFL Week 6


The New Orleans Saints will try to extend their winning streak to three games as they visit the Houston Texans on Sunday afternoon. The Saints are coming off a dominant 34-0 shutout of the New England Patriots in Week 5, while the Texans suffered a heartbreaking 21-19 loss to the Atlanta Falcons on a last-second field goal. The Saints have never won at NRG Stadium, where the Texans are undefeated in five meetings with New Orleans.


Saints’ offense rebounds with Carr and Kamara

The Saints’ offense had a rough outing in Week 4, when quarterback Derek Carr struggled with a shoulder injury and threw two interceptions in a 24-10 loss to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. However, Carr bounced back in Week 5, completing 18 of 25 passes for 183 yards and two touchdowns against the Patriots. He connected with wide receiver Michael Thomas for a 12-yard score in the first quarter and tight end Jared Cook for a 15-yard touchdown in the fourth quarter.

Running back Alvin Kamara also had a productive game, rushing for 80 yards on 23 carries and catching three passes for 17 yards. Kamara, who missed two games due to a suspension, has been a key factor in the Saints’ offense, averaging 4.8 yards per carry and scoring four touchdowns in three games. He will face a Texans’ defense that ranks 18th in the NFL in rushing yards allowed per game (112.4).

Texans’ defense looks to contain Saints’ weapons

The Texans’ defense has been inconsistent this season, allowing an average of 24.6 points per game, which ranks 21st in the league. The unit has been vulnerable against the pass, giving up an average of 266.2 passing yards per game, which ranks 25th in the league. The Texans have also struggled to generate pressure on opposing quarterbacks, recording only nine sacks in five games.

The Texans will have a tough challenge against the Saints’ offense, which features several weapons that can make big plays. Besides Carr, Thomas and Kamara, the Saints also have wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders, who leads the team with 23 receptions for 314 yards and two touchdowns. Sanders had six catches for 93 yards against the Patriots, including a 41-yard reception that set up Cook’s touchdown.

The Texans will need to rely on their secondary, which includes cornerback Bradley Roby, who returned from a one-game suspension in Week 5 and had an interception against the Falcons. Safety Justin Reid also had a strong game, recording eight tackles and a pass defensed.

Texans’ offense hopes for more consistency from Watson and Green

The Texans’ offense has shown flashes of brilliance this season, but has also been plagued by turnovers and inconsistency. Quarterback Deshaun Watson has thrown for 1,367 yards and nine touchdowns, but has also tossed seven interceptions and lost two fumbles. Watson had a mixed performance against the Falcons, completing 22 of 32 passes for 253 yards and two touchdowns, but also throwing two interceptions and losing a fumble.

Running back Cameron Green has been a bright spot for the Texans, rushing for 352 yards and four touchdowns on 74 carries. Green had his best game of the season against the Falcons, running for 52 yards and two touchdowns on just nine carries. He also caught four passes for 48 yards and another score. Green will face a Saints’ defense that ranks ninth in the league in rushing yards allowed per game (94).

Prediction and odds

The Saints are favored by 1.5 points over the Texans, according to SportsLine’s computer simulation model. The model predicts that the Saints will win by a score of 27-23, covering the spread and hitting the over on the total points scored (42.5). The model also gives the Saints a 57% chance of winning outright, while the Texans have a 43% chance.

By Kane Wilson

Kane Wilson, founder of this news website, is a seasoned news editor renowned for his analytical skills and meticulous approach to storytelling. His journey in journalism began as a local reporter, and he quickly climbed the ranks due to his talent for unearthing compelling stories. Kane completed his Master’s degree in Media Studies from Northwestern University and spent several years in broadcast journalism prior to co-founding this platform. His dedication to delivering unbiased news and ability to present complex issues in an easily digestible format make him an influential voice in the industry.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Posts